"You have heard it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. For He causes His sun to rise on the eviland the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward will you have? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same? " Matthew 5:42-46
A wonderful read that has caused me to
look more deeply into my life, my faith and my everyday meditations. Today, as
I finished the chapter on 'A Peaceful Heart' this passage spoke to me
"When we try to overcome evil
with evil we are not working for peace. If you say "Saddam Hussein is
evil. We have to prevent him from continuing to be evil," and if you then
use the same means he has been using you are
exactly like him." ch.6
pg 52
Let that sink in a bit....
"You have heard it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. For He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward will you have? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same? "
He speaks of learning to understand
our enemies to see their suffering to see the world from their view. As I sit
here and think of the Christians just beheaded by ISIS, the 24 people they
burned alive, how can I understand them? The hope is in understanding we will
then find love for our neighbor. So easy to love one another when it's the pie
baking Christian friend next door. How can we learn to love the worst of the worst?
We are commanded just like the good Samaritan to pick up the strays, the dirty,
the poor, the ones that believe everything that we do not. Love your neighbor,
all of them. This does not mean become a doormat for the wicked, but in our
fight we must fight back with love. Our weapon is love, compassion,
understanding. Tough stuff.
I cannot understand why someone would
do the things that these people are doing, I don't know that I can ever
understand that kind of violence against another human being. I am not asking
you to either, but I am trying to learn more, to listen more, and on a smaller
scale resolve conflict peacefully and with Love. That I think, with God's help,
meditation, prayer and most importantly practice,
I can do better.
Practice I think is the thing we forget. We
must practice
our faith daily to be able to better demonstrate our Love, to better forgive,
meditate, live peacefully. We know that we must practice music to play an
instrument or yoga to stretch, but with faith we go along until the high seas
of life and then.... Oh God! Buddha! we think it should be like magic. Fortunately,
if we live long enough and see enough in this world we learn that it takes practice. I say fortunately
because in learning this we learn to live better, more peaceful, more fulfilling
lives. And then when the tsunamis of life come we are better prepared because
we have practiced.
I challenge you this week to love your
enemies more, not the big horrible ones yet... Let's just start with the one
who cuts you off in traffic. Can you refrain from the screams and curses and
foul hand gestures? Can you pray for them and see that maybe they are late or
afraid or just learning to drive.
I challenge you to start a practice of
love when the kids have hit the last button, when you think your head may spin
like the girl in the Exorcist. Breathe, and practice Love and understanding.
#Loveoneanother
Peace be with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment